The Office of Policy and Planning (OPP) advises HHS and ASPR leadership through policy options and strategic planning initiatives to support domestic and international public health emergency preparedness and response activities. To achieve its mission, OPP:
- Leads an integrated approach to policy development and analysis within ASPR;
- Analyzes proposed policies, presidential directives, and regulations, and develops short- and long-term policy objectives for ASPR;
- Serves as ASPR’s focal point for the National Security Council (NSC) policy coordination activities and represents the ASPR, as appropriate, in interagency policy coordination meetings and related activities;
- Studies public health preparedness and response issues, identifies gaps in policy, and initiates policy planning and formulation to fill identified gaps;
- Leads the implementation of the Pandemic and All Hazards Preparedness Act (PAHPA) and is responsible for developing the quadrennial National Health Security Strategy (NHSS) and the NHSS Biennial Implementation Plan for public health emergency preparedness and response;
- Develops strategic partnerships with stakeholders and leads the development of ASPR knowledge and information management programs and activities;
- Manages the development of the ASPR Strategic Plan;
- Develops and maintains liaison relationships with HHS strategic planning personnel and Emergency Support Function 8 (ESF 8) partner organizations; and
- Manages ASPR’s strategic planning efforts and ensures the consistency between national, Departmental and organizational goals and objectives.
Included in OPP’s cross cutting activities:
OPP is headed by a Deputy Assistant Secretary and includes the following components:
- Division for At Risk, Behavioral Health & Community Resilience: Provides subject matter expertise, education, and coordination to internal and external partners to promote community resilience and ensure that behavioral health issues and the needs of at-risk individuals are integrated in the public health and medical emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities of the nation.
- Division of Biosafety, Biosecurity, and Countering Biological Threats: Improves the Nation’s ability to counter biological threats and other challenges to domestic and global health security and safety while fostering scientific progress.
- Division of Healthcare System Policy: Promotes a resilient, sustainable, and prepared healthcare system. DHSP
accomplishes its mission through strategic policy initiatives and
engagement with providers and suppliers, practitioners, payers,
policymakers, and state and local governments.
- Division of International Health Security:
Provides leadership for international programs, initiatives, and
policies that enhance U.S. and global public health emergency
preparedness and response efforts.
- Division of Policy and Strategic Planning: Coordinates OPP, ASPR, HHS, federal interagency, and national public health emergency preparedness and response policy and strategic planning development and implementation to ensure well synchronized efforts, rooted in science and informed by regular evaluations.
- Division of Medical Countermeasure Strategy & Requirements: Leads efforts to develop policy initiatives, planning and analysis activities, and requirements for medical countermeasures that help protect the U.S. civilian population during public health emergencies.